Monday, November 29, 2010

Wrap Me in Lettuce and Call Me Perfect

We found another Go-To recipe!

I found this recipe on Nuts Online and thought I would try it out after a long day of shopping.  We did not feel like eating, let alone cooking, but I thought I'd push through and try it anyway....

This was a hit. We couldn't stop eating it.  I'm almost  ready to make it again.  I think the addition of peanut butter on this was so surprising, that it made us really pay attention to how tasty it was.  The peanut butter also filled us up without having to have meat!

I made a few alterations to my dinner, based on ingredients I had,  I will post what I did; you can find the original recipe above.

Ingredients
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups water
2 tsp of bouillon (chicken of vegetable)
1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
1 minced garlic clove
1 tsp of chili flakes
2 tsp of chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp of maple syrup
2 tbsp of lime juice
1 tsp of salt
A small bit of leeks
1/2 cup of Peanut Butter (100% peanuts Crunchy)
1/4 of crushed almonds


How-To



Combine quinoa, water and bouillon cube in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil; Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Cool.

In a medium large bowl, combine ginger, leeks, garlic, red pepper flakes and cilantro.  (*Prior to adding, I lightly fried the leeks, ginger and garlic so it wouldn't be as harsh).   Add cooled quinoa and stir to mix.

In a jar or small bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, lime juice, and salt. Pour over quinoa mixture. Cover and refrigerate.

When ready to serve, spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on each lettuce leaf. Top with about 1/3 cup quinoa mixture and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of nuts. Roll up and enjoy.

Substitutions/Variations for this recipe:
- Peanut Butter / Almond Butter
- Peanuts / Almonds
- Lime juice / Lemon Juice
- Leeks / Scallions
- Maple Syrup / Honey
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment