Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Quick Butternut Squash Mac n' "Cheese"

I found my love for Pinterest - once again - this week and had spent some evening ogling over fake cheese recipes. I, of course, got it in my head that I had to have mac n' cheese. Once you see two photos of it on Pinterest, it's really all you begin to see. Like how many variations can they really have on there?

Off to Planet Organic I went to get the lazy-girl's dairy/gluten/soy-free version of KD - aka "Mac n' Chreeze". To my dismay, the store no longer sells it, or any other dairy and soy free alternative. Lucky for me, I had vaguely remembered one of the recipes I saw this week and grabbed a small can of pureed butternut squash.

If you recall, I did the whole roasted squash + Daiya cheese thing before and loved it, but this time I needed a quick fix and wanted to try something new. (Note: If you have the time, I still highly recommend roasting the squash - nothing beats that warm taste).

Here's the cheese sauce recipe on Pure2Raw. Boy am I glad I found this one! I was only making a small serving, so I cut the recipe in half and made a few alterations for ease.

Here's what I did (it makes about 2 servings):

In a blender (used my bullet), add:
1/2 can (14oz) of pureed butternut squash
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
2 tbsp of tahini
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 dash of apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp of tumeric
1/4 tsp of salt

Plop however much you want on top of brown rice pasta and heat that puppy up!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment