Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'm Jumping Back In + Breakfast Sausage Fritatta

Hello Blogger World and Blogger Friends (hopefully you're still around...are you?!).

I have done it again. I left my poor blog hanging update-less for over a month. It started out with a little neglect during an extremely busy two weeks of work for me and job change for J, leading into our week's R n' R vacation...it, then, lead to a very long hiatus that was spent as hubby and wife...and homeowners.

I know that sounds a bit silly, but blogging takes time. Not only do the recipes have to ever be planned and researched, they have to be actually cooked. If you're trying something new out, there is generally a bigger mess. To increase your readership, you need to be participating in Twitter conversations, chatting on Facebook and partaking in blogger events. And none of those things include actually writing the post and editing the photos for the post. It's a whole lot of fun, but it was taking up just a wee too much of my evenings for a little while there. So, there it is. Blogging is such an unbelievably fun hobby to have - but I'm a true believer that everyone should only be doing these "extras" in their lives so long as they still add to your happiness. The great thing about an "extra" or a "hobby" is that you can always take a break to see how you really feel about it and jump right back in! (Note: Have you read The Happiness Project?) So here I am, making my jump.

While I was gone, J and I have spent A LOT of time on our home. We're slowly settling in. Unpacking. Reorganizing. Redecorating. Thrifting (but mostly making use of everything we already own). I'm thinking of doing a blog post on some of our home projects (the easy non-tool kind). Would you be interested?

We also went here for a full week of reading and relaxing together - something we have never really done together as a couple.
We're always on the go...go go go! See as much as you can kind of thing. This trip, we took books (I read Hunger Games and Day After Night) and played a whole lot of crib with our feet firmly planted in the sand, brew in hand. There's nothing quite like a true vacation.

In a nutshell, you've missed:
- J has started a new (and amazing) job
- Our nephew turned 1
- We've had a few delicious Easter Dinners
- We've BBQ'd!!! (Spring is finally coming...)
- We saw the Hunger Games
- We've had house guests from PEI and our friends have moved home from Korea (for good, yippee!)
- We've watched some really good movies, and some really bad
- Game of Thrones, Mad Men and Community all came back on TV (pretty big deals in our world)

~~~~~~~
To get back into the groove of things, I'm posting a recipe from quite a few weeks ago: My VERY first fritatta - ever. So easy and so delicious - and helps for dinner AND breakfast!
Breakfast Sausage Fritatta
From Allie's Kitchen


1 clove of garlic, chopped
Onion (I used about 1/3 of a medium-sized onion)
1 cup of Kale, chopped (you can use spinach just as well)
1/2 pack of breakfast sausages, casing removed (you can also just chop in small pieces)
6 eggs
1/2 cup of rice milk (Rice Dream Original)
2 tbsp of flour

1. Sautee the sausage with the onion and garlic. Once sausage is just about cooked, add in the greens until properly wilted.
2. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, milk and flour in a bowl.
3. Once the sausage mixture is complete, add to bowl and stir. Pour into a greased pie plate.
4. Place in oven for 30 minutes on 350.

That's all! I served a piece of this for supper with a spinach, avocado and orange salad. For a dressing, I simply squeezed a bit of the orange + a wee bit of lemon juice over the mix. We used the rest of the fritatta for breakfasts all week (1/2 of our supper servings).

*Note: You can easily use oat flour and veggie sausages to make this vegetarian or gluten-free
I hope everyone is doing well. My last mini update is that I'm offiically a domain: www.alliechangingkitchen.com. Spread the word and feel free to email at my new blogger address: alliek@allieschangingkitchen.com! I've received a few private Facebook messages regarding how tough the transition is once you discover you have intolerances. I would love to hear from you, even if yours are different than mine. It is NOT an easy process to go through...

That's all she wrote!




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. yay! so happy to see you pop up in my reader this morning. love those vacation picks! and so happy hubby found a job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe! I was glad to see a post from you again! Sometimes it's nice to take a break, live your life and not have to worry about the other stuff!

    ReplyDelete