Friday, January 14, 2011

Comfort Foodie Goodness

Through these winter months, I'm really growing to appreciate "comfort food".  Comfort food, to me, has always been something that your mother, father, or grandmother could achieve in their cooking - but never me.  Not that I've ever tried.  It just seemed that the "comfort" tag came from who was doing the cooking, perhaps?

After re-introducing myself into the Maritimes' meat-and-potatoes way of doing supper, I have found that I, too, have the ability to make a healthy meal that feels like home. Roasts, baked potatoes, carrots, stews.  They all feel like home to me.  Home, in the sense of family-cooking, because I am fortunate enough to only live about a half hour away from most of my family.

Anyway, back to food....This stew was so easy (the kind you can walk away from while it's on the stove) and tasty, we'll for sure add this on our Go-To List.

Italian Shrimp Stew
Clean Eating Magazine, January 2011

1. In a pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary

2.  Stir and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add in:
- 2 cups of chopped (cut in half) cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups of Organics vegetable broth

3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

4.  Uncover the pot and test the potatoes.  If they are not yet very soft, cook for another 3 - 5 minutes (I had to cook them for the full extra 5 minutes).

5.  Once potatoes are done, mash a few to thicken the sauce.

6.  Add:
- 18 oz medium uncooked shrimp (de-tailed).
7.  Cover and cook for 2 minutes.  Cook through until shrimp are pink.

Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!  Be prepared....it's tasty!  

Salad:  Spinach, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries with Renee's Cucumber and Dill

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment