Thursday, December 2, 2010

Recipe: Mushroom Cream Sauce Pasta

I don't know about everyone else, but I often choose my dinner based on the ingredients that I have in my kitchen.  I see so many recipes on blogs I follow, in my Clean Eating magazine and in all of my good cookbooks, but it seems I am always looking at them when I do not have the ingredients required.  It's almost like I need some kind of database that searches through the books, magazines and blogs for similarities.  I.e. "This week is zucchini week.  Here are all of your recipes using zucchinis.".  And so on.

I just received my first Clean Eating magazine in the mail (thanks to the subscription from Jon's mom!) and am drooling over many of the recipes.  There are foods listed that I have never even heard of!  I, now, some how have to wrap my head around going to the grocery store with a plan and purpose outside of my norm.  I need to look for the recipes PRIOR to going.  Find the commonalities, and just do it.
That being said, we still enjoy all of our meals.  Surprisingly, I feel as though there is quite diversity in what we eat, considering we eat the same basic ingredients weekly!

Tonight's menu:  Another variation of a cream sauce!  Note:  Although this was made with chicken, I think it would be equally good without.
Ingredients
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (or not)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of broth (vegetable or chicken), 2 tbsp separated.
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms (or more if you like lots of mushrooms!) 
- 1 tsp of thyme (or 1 tbsp of fresh thyme if you have it)
- salt, pepper
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- oil

What To Do 
While boiling the water and cooking pasta.....
1.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Cook in oil.  Once done, remove and place aside (in foil to keep warm)
2.  Cook onions
3.  Add garlic and mushrooms
4. Add broth and cook for a minute.
5.  Stir in coconut milk and cook for 2 minutes.
6.  Add thyme, salt, pepper, 2 more tbsp of broth and cornstarch.  I also threw the chicken back in to warm it up.
7.  Let it simmer for a minute or two then serve over pasta!  I used Spaghettini ....

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment