Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wrap a Little

I always see other food blogs and sites showing well, wrapped summer spring rolls.  With the random ingredients in my fridge and cupboard (yes, we had rice paper on hand for some reason), I wanted to throw together a make-shift plate of spring rolls.

Two noteable lessons:
- When the instructions state to not lay your rolls together on the plate, follow them.  When the rice paper dries, it will stick.
- No matter what the roll looks like, somehow the rice paper actually does hold it together and it still tastes just as good in the end.

Pieces of this Supper's Puzzle:

Peanut Satay

Melt together in a small pan...
1/4 cup of peanut butter
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1 small clove of garlic
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1/4 cup of water
1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of balsamic
1/4 tsp of maple sugar







Noodles 
Chow mein, even though it usually calls for rice noodles.  This took about a minute to cook in boiling water...very quick and easy to have on hand.

Ground Pork

I only had about a 1/3 of a package of ground pork.  I cooked it with 1 tsp of maple sugar,  1/4 cup of fish sauce, 2 garlic cloves, 2 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of pepper.

*Note:  This was salty - and I mean SALTY!  Jon and I love when something is spicy and salty because it takes us back to a time when we eat this extremely spicy/salty Laos Beef wrapped in lettuce cups.  If I was cooking this for other people, I would cook it in half the salt and half the fish sauce.

Vegetables for the rice wraps?  Whatever you have or want...
I sliced lettuce for the base of each wrap.
I thinly cut mushrooms and zucchini for on top.


Rice Wraps
Heat kettle.  Pour boiling water in a bowl.  When ready to roll a wrap, dip paper in bowl and pile ingredients immediately on and roll over and attempt to tuck at least one side in.  Don't let them touch each other once you place it on the plate! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment