Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Recipe: Emma's Cashew Curry

This recipe was passed along to me from my friend, Emma, as found on a site listing all Sri Lankan Recipes.  So, this is intended to be a Sri Lankan curry, but my limited ingredients forced me to remove the curry leaves and Sri Lankan curry from the list and this is what I got:

 Ingredients
Cashew Curry with Basmati Rice
2 cups of cashew nuts
1 medium sliced onion
3 - 4 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp black pepper
2-3 tbsp of yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp of tumeric
1 can of coconut milk
4-5 tbsp oil


How-to
1.  Soak cashews overnight (Or all day - I covered them in water in the morning)
2.  Once cashews are not soaking, mix all spices with the cashews.  Set aside.
3.  Heat oil, add chopped garlic and ginger.  Heat for 1 minute.
4.  Add onions, cook for another 5 minutes.
5.  Add cashew mixture, mix for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
6.  Add coconut milk and cook until the consistency is like gravy.

We ate this with basmati rice.
*My Notes: 
- This made a boatload of food and because it's made with nuts - it's super filling.  I would make at least half of this, maybe less.
- I would add some more vegetables or chicken to this next time I make it
- I would also add something tangy or salty - maybe mangoes or fish sauce?
- We have eaten in everyday this week and are excited to play around with this recipe!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment