Monday, May 14, 2012

Garlic Shrimp in Tomato-y Coconut Milk


I forget if it was my mom or me who stumbled onto SkinnyTaste.com. Once we did, we got sucked into the vortex of delicious-looking recipe tunnel - I mean: recipe after recipe looks amazing. Gina's website is  organized extremely well, so you can easily search for something in a jiffy on her blog.

Mom passed this find on to me a little while go and I finally had a chance to try it (it's been sitting patiently on my Food Bliss Pinterest Board). This was so unbelievably easy to throw together and made enough for both J and I to have leftovers for our lunches the next day. I made a pot of plain quinoa to serve under this which helped give us the full 4 servings.

Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Cilantro.

Try it.

Creamy goodness.

We always have diced tomatoes (check the ingredients to make sure you're just getting tomatoes!) and coconut milk in our pantry so this will end up being an easy go-to. Just a note about the recipe: I used 1 tbsp of lime juice. I typically save my actual lemons and limes for baking, bbqing or for drinks. Whenever a recipe asks for 1/2 a lime or lemon, I always use the juice.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and hopefully cooked a good meal for your mom! I, unfortunately, will owe mine one. We had lots of family dinners (including a big turkey feast. yum) throughout the last week, as my uncle was home. There's nothing like family time and we had a whole lot of it last week - which meant a lot of people cooked for us, too (sweet diggity).

Mother's Day. I thought I'd take a moment to highlight how extremely awesome and supportive my mom is - and how I never go a day without being extremely grateful for our relationship. We've always been a bit of a duo - for better or for worse. Better, as in we're best friends. Worse, as in we're identical. Like mother, like daughter, right? Well, in our family, we're actually like grandmother, like mother, like daughter. ;) The three of us spent time together in Korea (both Gram and mom came ALL the way to Korea to visit me) and a week together in the Dominican Republic, not to mention the amount of other activities we do together. Throughout all of these food changes I've experienced (and am still experiencing), my mom has been so, so supportive. She cut out red meat with me over 3 1/2 years ago and has a million go-to recipes that are "Allie-friendly" and on hand now! There are literally a million things I could say about her and our relationship - but I'll just acknowledge our special bond and my appreciation for the life I've been able to live because of her.
Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mommys out there!
What else.
Spring has actually, FINALLY, hit Halifax. 

We've been patient. We've enjoyed every "spring" day that has come, but it officially seems like it's here to stay now. We enjoyed local beers outside on Friday (we lasted "outside" for not long), we enjoyed a staycation kind of date day in our city on Saturday...from buying meat at the farmer's market to enjoying $1 espressos and $1 coffees to free live music on the waterfront and $5 pop-up burgers and fries from one of the tasty (higher priced for our typical budget) restaurants in town. 'Twas a super fun day to be in Halifax. Check out #OpenCity to see everything that happened around town. We had a busy day on Saturday so we, unfortunately, only got 1/2 a day of it. Would have loved to get out to check out Made With Local, a snack bar venture done by two amazing local ladies. Take a look at their Facebook page to see how they're keeping it local - right down to their packaging!
A reunion with Garrison Brewery Patio & Nut Brown Ale Samplers
That's my update! Fresh air + family tine + lots of catch up time with friends over brews + a date-day staycation = a successful (and busy) few days.

Stay tuned for an updated "Brands I Love" page and a few mini product reviews for my following most recent purchases from Planet Organic:
A Successful Stroll Through Planet Organic
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment