Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What To Do (*Or, What I Did) With Leftover Salmon

...or canned salmon...or smoked salmon.

AND...It's my VERY own recipe!
Alright, I know it seems that we eat a whole lot of rice and pasta-type meals (*Remember Gluten-Free peeps: Always just swap out regular pasta with your delicious brown rice pasta!) but realistically this is what works better for us and our 9 to 5 (ish) weekday routines.  We're comfortable and quick with these two staple items, although I do want to branch out further into the couscous, bulgur, millet world - but all in do time.

Jon whipped up a delicious WHOLE salmon for us on Sunday evening. Although I grew up around fish - dead and alive - I still leave the whole-fish-including-tail situation to Jon to sort out. It's all about teamwork anyway, isn't it? That's what makes a happy home - or at least a kitchen.  I'm sure of it. :)

With the enormous amount of leftover salmon, I made Jon a great midday sandwich with Renee's Cucumber and Dill.  I couldn't think past having pasta alfredo, however, for our leftover dinner meal.  Nothing seems to go better with salmon then a cream sauce - or at least, that's what I picture as being the perfect restaurant-quality combo.

With some research and a recipe from www.ifood.tv, I altered a bit to create this Alfredo Sauce:
In a saucepan....
1. Add 1/4 diced (very small) onion and saute in oil for 3 minutes.
2. Add 2 minced cloves of garlic, along with approximately (more or less depending on what you want) 1 tsp of dill and a 1/2 tsp of marjoram, 1/4 cup of white wine, and 1/4 cup of dairy/soy-free margarine.  Stir together until the margarine melts.
3. Whisk, whisk, whisk!  Slowly add 1/4 cup of flour (whatever flour you can have!) and 2 cups of unsweetened rice milk (I use Original Rice Dream, it's quite sweet naturally.  It's my fave)
4.  Cook until you feel it's at a consistency that you're happy with.
Print this sauce recipe

The Actual, Other Ingredients
I used what I had in my fridge, so mostly anything would work:

In a pan, saute your vegetables with some oil. I used asparagus and mushrooms, with the intention of adding uncooked tomatoes at the end. Once the vegetables were cooked, I threw in the pieces of salmon to warm up.

Obviously don't forget the pasta part of this pasta dish...

Once all was said and done, I mixed the noodles, veggie-salmon mixture and alfredo sauce together and dished it out, adding tomatoes to the top for some freshness.


Print the entire recipe


Two thumbs up for this one.  This sauce recipe is definitely going in our good books.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I really do have to say that a cream sauce with margarine and rice milk works surprisingly well. Sacrilege for a guy who came from meat-n-potatoes-n-butter :) BUT we are now using the "real" (still soy-free) margarine. You had some vegan kind before that didn't a good cream sauce make...
    Jon :)

    ReplyDelete