Saturday, August 7, 2010

Recipe: Batter-fried Cucumber "Pakoras"

I got home from work on Friday, knowing I wasn't heading out for dinner for another 4 hours.  I was hungry.  I wanted cheese and crackers. I wanted a poutine. A piece of pizza.  Something.  Something greasy; something easy.

Clearly, none of this could and none of this would happen.  After whining about it for awhile to Jon, I tried napping.  Although that worked for a little while, the hunger was still there.  I felt a bit defeated knowing that I will always have to be on the ball with our groceries.  We didn't have a single piece of fruit, cracker, cookie, chip or granola bar that I could have.  So to google I went to research some quick snack fixes.  Although I am quite disgusted and against "deep frying" stuff in my home, I semi-deep-fried these babies into quite delicious little snacks - and a snack that Jon enjoyed in the middle of the night - cold!

The recipe I found called for cauliflower, brocolli, or eggplant.  All I had was cucumber....

Batter:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup water
Canola (or other) oil for frying


1.  Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Add more water slowly as you are stirring batter.  Everything should be mixed well, but not runny.  
2.  The recipe said to warm 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet - I warmed a small layer of oil in my frying pan and just made smaller pieces of cucumber. 
3.  Coat your veg. of choice in the batter and carefully put each piece in the oil. 
4.  Cook until golden on each side (less than 5 minutes total)

I dipped these in President's Choice Memories of Thailand Fiery Chili Pepper Sauce.  Although greasy, I was satisfied and very content that I successfully pulled myself out of my cheese-rut! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment