Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Fall Goodie To Share

Just a quickie post (because clearly I don't come on here anymore).  The fall brings with it many delicious recipes.  I chose this one to share as it was extra yummy, unique and requested!  This is dairy, soy and sugar free, but can be made with regular cheese and milk to make it super creamy for those without intolerances.  J topped his off with parmesan, which added some extra flavour, too.  I have been lucky enough to be able to work from home for my last two Mondays, which meant I was able to throw something in the oven while continuing to work away.  This was a tad time consuming, but we've got some good lunch leftovers for the week now.

Butternut Squash Mac n' Cheese



You can do this in a few ways, but this is what I did:
Cut a butternut squash in half.  In a pan, add approximately a 1/4 cup of water and place the two halves face down in the pan.  Roast for an hour on 350.

(Alternatively, you can peel and cut the squash and boil it in broth. This would likely make it extra flavourful, but I honestly didn't know where to begin in peeling a squash...).

While the squash is doing its thing, make a lot of macaroni.

Once the squash is roasted, scoop it into a bowl and mix with 2 tbsp of unsweetened milk (I had almond but anything would work), 1 tbsp of nutmeg, 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of cilantro.  You could mash it all together, but I had the Bullet out from a previous meal and used that.  Mix this with the macaroni.

Add in 1 and 3/4 cup of shredded cheese.  I used Daiya cheddar, but a mixture of both cheddar  and mozarella woud likely be extra yumm-licious.

Place this in a big enough casserole dish.

For the top, sprinkle with more cheese.  I took approximately a 1/4 cup of more Daiya cheddar, 1 cup of Stonehearth Rye bread crumbs and mixed it with some olive oil then sprinkled it on top.

Bake for 20 minutes covered with tin foil, 20 minutes uncovered.

Voila!  Toppings for eating could include some hot sauce, salt, pepper, and parmesan for the non-intolerant. 

Print this recipe. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. i love this recipe....can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete