Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grammie's Homemade Baked Beans

I've been in love with my grammie's baked beans for as long as I remember. I would eat them (and score leftovers) at any chance I get.  Since having to cut out cane sugar from my diet, I've struggled with having to let this "ultimate family favorite" go.

A couple of weekends ago, my gram (I can't believe how nice this was for her to do) decided to break down the recipe in attempt to build a new, Allie-friendly, family baked bean recipe.  With trepidation, she built it, made it, and has all try it.  Let me tell you: It was marvelous.  A miracle!


We are now able to carry-on (so long as I successfully do this myself) two family recipes!  I'm so excited to try it on my own, although I still think it will be better when Gram bakes them herself. :)

Grammie's Maple Baked Beans

Ingredients:
2 - 540 ml cans of navy beans (drained and rinsed)
 3/4 cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp ketchup (small bit of sugar, unless you purchase the sugar-free ketchup)
1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp salt
pepper
1/2 onion

What to do:
1.  Add the beans to a casserole dish.
2. Mix all other ingredients, except the onion, with 2 cups of warm water. Pour the mixture over the beans.  Add more water if necessary to cover beans.
3.  Add the onion on top.
4. Cover and bake for 2 hours at 325F (or longer).  Add a little more water if too much boils away.

Options: Add 1 tsp of dry mustard, tumeric, or paprika

Print This Recipe


Thanks, Gram! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment