Friday, July 30, 2010

Calcium Propionate?

This is one of the words listed to avoid.  While searching for a bread to buy for our upcoming camping excursion this week, I stumbled onto a local bakery's rye bread that read in bold "No Dairy or Soy" (exciting moment!); however, the ingredient list specified calcium propionate.  Confused, I visited my friend google to see what other sites are saying:

From the site, http://babyandkidallergies.com, this is what I found:
Words that sound bad, but aren't: calcium propionate, calcium stearoyl lactylate, cocoa powder, lactylate, lecithin, mannitol, mono-diglycerides, sodium lactylate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sorbic acid, starch (although a few of these MAY contain some dairy - so be more cautious if it's an allergy).

So I took this info to my naturopath and she explained that calcium propionate can actually be from a dairy source or a plant based source.  The test that I had done (Carroll Test) has most often then not tested products with calcium propionate as positive for dairy. 

So the long winded answer to this question is that it may not be THAT big of a deal if something has this ingredient in it (as long as it's not the "main" ingredient).  As long as I watch for possible reactions, I might as well not make myself go crazy.

How's that for details on what seems to be a common word - that I've actually never even seen on any product before...
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment