Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday Chilli (With a Bacon-y Secret Ingredient!)


Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I officially have a favorite chilli recipe - and I made it all on my own. This. Was. Amazing. A perfect Sunday meal.

As I'm sure is evident, I love making chilli. It's the absolute easiest way to cram a ton of healthy ingredients into one dish that will last the week - and hopefully taste good. It doesn't get much better than that. Yes, it's a little bit of work up front, but then no work throughout the week!

I typically use the slow cooker, but used my handy red Kitchenaid dutch oven this time around to cut down on time. With our love of the Smokey Bacon Chilli from a few months back (originating from PaleOMG), I took a few of my fave elements from that recipe and went to work on something of my own.

Sweet Potato and White Bean Chilli (with PORK!)
From Allie's Changing Kitchen

6 slices of bacon, diced (Maple Leaf, less sodium - sugar-free)
1 package of ground pork

1/2 large onion, diced
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 1/2 cups of kale, sliced small
1 1/2 cups of corn (frozen or canned, but I had canned)

1 cup of broth
1 can of Hunts Original Pasta Sauce
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp of chili powder
2 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of garlic salt
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper

1. Fry the bacon. Set aside.
2. Cook the ground pork.
3. In a dutch oven or pot, cook the sweet potato and onion for about 7 minutes.
4. Add in all of the spices, the cooked pork, bacon, beans, broth and and tomato sauce. Turn heat down to simmer for an hour - at least. 
5. About 15 minutes before you're ready to eat, throw in the kale and corn.

I think I've used diced tomatoes in every chilli I've ever made and have never used straight up tomato sauce. This - I believe - may be what made the difference. It was full of flavour. A hearty, warm dish for a Sunday evening. And with the secret, special ingredient of BACON, it's a two thumbs up from the hubs!  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment