Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fast Food Friday: Skinny Sloppy Joes



Okay. So I'm already writing a post for Friday, January 27th. How in the world did that happen? I really love this whole Fast Food Fridays idea that Jenne over at Mooshu Jenne, but have had the quickest/longest, love/hate kind of week in a very long time. Most of my evenings have been spent in a dimly lit room, eyes partially closed at all times and 8:30pm bedtimes. 

It's been one of those weeks. 

A week where my cooking, blogging, reading and sanity have been put to the side for a wee bit and will get back on track tomorrow evening (fingers crossed). Work days are spent being a super star (obviously. ha) and evenings are spent recovering from pretending I wasn't walking through my day with a headache. Clearly I should up my Vitamin D and C intake for the time being, eh? I think so.

Anyway. So, I was determined to not miss out on week number 2 of Fast Food Fridays. So, I unfortunately had to be not-so creative again and had to pull out another oldie, but goodie from the earlier part of my blog. 

Hope it's not lame to take the easy way out...and to just include the following exactly how it was written quite some time ago. This was super fun to make - try them out! Remove the meat to make it veggies only....yummy either way. A perfect Friday meal. :) 
Check out the full original post.

For buns, I recommend whatever you want to use.  We used Snairs buns that are pretty healthy.  Clean Eating recommends the thin hamburger buns (PC brand is dairy free!).

Skinny Sloppy Joes
Recipe from Clean Eating Magazine, November/December 2010


What You Need (what I did):
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 med zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of pasta sauce (NN brand from Super Store or homemade)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- buns

Here's How to Make the Magic Happen:
1.  Heat a skillet, add your oil, then add your pork, garlic and onion.  Cook until browned. Drain any excess liquid.
2.  Add chili and cayenne.  Cook for another minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
3.  In same pan, add peppers. zucchini and eggplant.  Cook for 5 minutes.
4.  Add pork mixture back into the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 - 12 minutes until vegetables are all tender.
5.  Add pasta sauce, honey and 2 tbsp of water.  Mix together until the mixture begins to bubble.

You're done - throw it on your bun and grab a lot of napkins!  I recommend going out and making these.  Do it!

Okay. Are you ready to join in on the next Fast Food Fridays? Our happy favorites given a clean overhaul? A clean re-do? Join us! Go check out Jenne for more details. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I loved your recipe and featured it on my blog: http://www.theforeigndomestic.com/2012/06/from-your-kitchen-to-mine-recipes-81-85.html. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete