Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Food For Thought

I'm going to keep adding to the topic of this post, as this is just an introduction.

On the weekend, Jon and I finally watched Food, Inc.  If you haven't seen it, you should.  If you're generally aware about food, where it comes from, the issues we're faced with today, etc...it will be more of what you already know but it might shed a new light on it, may show you a different perspective, or may kick you in the butt to do something.  To make some kind of a change for either your own health, your own mental comfort, for the animals, for the environment, or for your local economy. 

Almost two Januarys ago, I agreed to cut out red meat with my mom as  New Year's Resolution.  I haven't eaten it since (although there have been a few accidents here and there).  It was easy to cut out because every time I ate it, it would make me feel ill.  There was a direct connection.  I loved (and I'm sure would still love) the taste of red meat, so it wasn't the easiest step to take.  Then, in July of this year I had to tackle the elimination of many more things, among the hardest:  cheese, milk, yogurt, pop, soy sauce, miso soup, etc.  Had you asked me awhile ago if I'd be able to do any of this, I would have said no.  Simply, no.  I love food.  I love eating in, dining with friends, trying new things, going out to restaurants.  Food is my weakness.  I had the mentality that you should just eat what tastes good and deal with the consequences. I also had the mentality that "healthy food" truly was more expensive, and it was a life style I just couldn't afford.  (*Side note:  As I write this, I feel it important to say that Jon and I have always eaten well.  We have never lived off of processed food, but we still indulged in KD, Ice Cream, or any other sale items in the aisles of the grocery store).

So now I have seen a few things:  1.  Buying fresh foods (especially ones that are in season) is more affordable than boxed food.  You can't compare "a head of broccoli" to "a box of chicken wings".  It's not about the actual cost comparison here.  It's really not.  2.  Healthy/organic food, unfortunately, is more expensive but this is for boxed, jarred, and packaged items.  3.  I have made a significant change in my diet, have been spending more money to do it - but I CAN do it.  We've been able to afford it.  4.  The main thing I have learned:  It's possible to make a change.  It started out as something that seemed impossible, but all of the previously mentioned things have been cut out.  Our budget has been adjusted.  Our routines have been adjusted.  Although tough at first, changes happen and we feel the better for it.

Looking back at this, J and I started thinking about other things we can do.  It's unreasonable to say that we're going to complete change everything we're doing but if we've already made all of these changes, there has got to be something else we can alter.  Taking guidance from my parents and grandparents, our first change will be buying our white fresh from a local fisherman in the town I am from:  Know the Fisherman, Understand the process of how it got into your hands, Be comfortable with the "cleanliness" of the food.

More to come on this, I just wanted to get a posting out (although not sure if there is anyone out there following each blog post...) about the movie.  I have been doing lots of research and will share links along the way!  One fascinating tidbit to leave on. .... Corn and Soy.  Start paying attention to how much of both is in everything you buy.  Here's an interesting link on soy. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment