Monday, September 27, 2010

And I'm back... Recipe: Chicken Korma with Tumeric Rice

Here it is - the delicious meal that was.  (Note to self:  Find new words to replace "delicious and yummy".  They're getting old quickly, here).

This recipe came from a new cookbook of mine called Best Ever Book of Rice and Risotto (found at HomeSense).  It is actually a recipe for saffron rice and calls for a lot more ingredients than what I used, but I'm just going to share what I did - and used.  This turned out, was cheap and easy, and this is what I will want to end up coming back to later on....

Ingredients:  Chicken
1/2 cup of sliced or flaked almonds
1 tbsp of vegan margarine
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts into bitesize pieces
1/2 of onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 of a cinnamon stick
small pinch of chilli poweer
1/2 cup of coconut milk
Just over 1/4 cup of chicken broth
1 tbsp of lime juice
1/2 tsp of masala

 Diretions:  Chicken
1.  Dry-fry the almonds in a small pan until pale golden.  Transfer two-thirds to a grinder (I used my coffee grinder) and grind.  Continue to fry the remaining almonds until darker.  Set aside and keep for garnish.
2.  Heat margarine and some oil (I used peanut) in a frying pan and brown chicken.  Remove.
3.  Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another 3.  Stir in the ground almonds, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chilli powder.  Fry for 1 minute.  Stir in coconut milk and chicken broth.  Bring to a simmering point.   Put chicken back into the pan and cook for 10 minutes until the chicken is tender.
4.  Right before serving, add lime juice and masala.  Garnish with browned almonds and serve with the rice!

Ingredients and Directions:  Rice
In my rice cooker, I threw in the amount of basmati rice that I wanted, along with 2 parts vegetable broth, 1 part water (for whatever amount you use...instead of all water), and sprinkled in a lot of tumeric..  Tumeric is a cheap and good substitute for saffron. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment