Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Wonder No. 1

I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend - one that felt like spring was actually on it's way!  Well, it's another Monday - and a cold one at that - a Monday after a time change... I don't think I realize how much I depend (although often complain) about my morning routines:  Be woken up by cat before the alarm goes off, snuggle, sleep, alarm, snooze - repeat.  With the time change, I didn't even see the cat in the morning!  Nothing's worse than when you see it's 7am and you had woken up happily because you had originally thought it was only 5:30am....Le Giant Sigh.

My weekend was GRAND and full of: skype conversations with the soon-to-be-in-laws, movies and lounging with the fiance, cooking and dining, catching up with a few close friends, gift registry shopping, and being immersed in my current reading of The Bishop's Man.  I was actually tempted not to visit the blog today to update on weekend food-adventures as I thought I should spend my hour break being lost in that book world, but alas, I'm here:  I'm here to get lost in this world of revisiting - what I felt to be - our gourmet dinner weekend.

Chicken Piccata
Another recipe found on Everday Paleo: Recipes for Life.

J's reaction: "I'd pay to have this at a restaurant - and would be impressed with the results even then!"

With a whole lot of help from J with the butterfly-ing of the chicken and the chopping of the shallots and garlic, here is what we used and did:

1 large boneless chicken breast (butterflied)
2 tbsp of vegan butter
1 large shallot, diced small (or 2 green onions, which I didn't have)
3 garlic cloves, diced/minced
1 1/2 tbsp of capers
Half of a 1/4 cup of white wine (can you tell I cut the recipe in half for our use?!)
1/4 cup of vegetable broth
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper

1.  After flattening the chicken, season both sides with salt and pepper and cook in a hot pan with the butter.  Cook both sides for 3 - 5minutes, until it's done (I'm always paranoid about this one, so if you're like me - ask anyone that's around a million times if it's done:) )
2.  After the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and cook the shallot and garlic with the oil for a couple of minutes.
3.  Add in capers, lemon juice, wine and broth.  Cook until all flavors come together: approximately 3 - 5 minutes.
4.  Pour over the chicken and be impressed!
For a side: I threw some angel hair pasta into a pot and tossed it with shredded rice cheese and a spice blend J picked up for me at the grocery store (it's a blend of Italian greens, comes in a jar to be kept in the fridge) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment